Make your holiday classics even tastier with steam
The holiday season is a great time for cooking! Spend time in the kitchen together with family or friends and enjoy long dinners together.
What meat can you steam? Steam oven cooking is good for various kinds of meats like ham, pork belly, beef brisket, beef shoulder etc. The steam helps the fibres of the meat loose up and get tender, but without shredding apart. Poultry, such as turkey and chicken, is quite lean and steam helps make the meat juicy and moist. Below you will find some tips and tricks on how you steam meat at home.
- For a juicy ham, start by placing the the ham directly on the oven grid with an open tray underneath the grid.
- With the skin side up, run the ham in Full Steam 100°C until it reaches 70°C core temperature. (The time it takes really varies depending on the size of your ham, which is why core temperature is the best way to go.) When it reaches the right temperature, take out and leave to cool off.
- Once cool, coat the ham with what you prefer. We like to mix mustard and egg yolks, when the ham is coated we sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Then bake in 175°C dry air until the ham gets toasted and golden (it just takes 5-10 mins). This is a perfect dish to prepare the day before.
- A great way to get turkey both juicy and crispy is to first steam it on Full Steam 100°C with the stuffing inside.
- Place a thermometer inside the leg bone and cook until it reaches 68°C. (The time it takes really varies depending on the size of your turkey, which is why core temperature is the best way to go.)
- When it reaches the right temperature, take it out and let the skin dry.
- Once dry, grease the whole bird with soft butter and run the last 30 min in a 200°C dry air oven so the skin gets dark and crispy. Carve and enjoy!
Glazed short ribs or beef brisket
Sous-vide is a perfect cooking method for vegetables. It´s healthier as less nutrients are lost during the cooking process and tastier as you will enhance the natural flavours and get a better texture. In addtion, it´s a great way of infusing vegetables.
Here are two perfect side dishes to try out this holiday season!
Celeriac with browned butter, thyme and lemon zest
- Peel and slice the celeriac and put in the vacuum bag together with browned butter, thyme stems, lemon zest and a pinch of salt
- Cook in Full Steam 100°C for about 20-25 min. Cool off and serve as it is, fry or grill
Carrots in spices and orange juice
- Peel carrots and put in the vacuum bag together with star anise, chili, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Cook in Full Steam 100°C for about 15-20 min. Cool off and serve as it is, fry or grill. Use the juice for a sauce or dressing.
Steam cook like the pros
Let the SteamPro ovens elevate your steam cooking to pro level. Discover features including Sous-Vide, Connected Cooking, that enables controlling your oven with your smartphone, and the steam cooking assistant Steamify. SteamPro ovens are ready to make your everyday tastier.